Etihad ESCO is a DEWA venture that was established in 2013 to make Dubai built environment a leading example of energy efficiency for the region and the world. This tender for an Energy Savings Performance Contract (ESPC) aimed at selecting a private partner to deliver guaranteed energy savings for 157 Jebel Ali Freezone (JAFZA) buildings through an energy retrofit program. A statement from HE Sultan Ahmed Bin Sulayem, Chairman of DP World and Ports, illustrates the size of the challenge:
“The utility cost is the second largest expense for JAFZA. The power and water consumption level in JAFZA crossed 75 million KWh and 750 million IG per year respectively.”
Building Energy Efficiency Services (BEES Performance)
Under this comprehensive results-based contract, adopting our 3-step approach (audit, implementation and guarantee), Enova commits to a 30% savings on the electricity and water consumption across the 157 buildings, making of this project the largest ESPC ever signed in the ME and one of the largest ever signed around the world in a single contract. The scale of the project also makes it the first third-party financed ESPC in Dubai, financed through Shari’a-compliant financing.
The implementation of Energy Conservation Measures include:
- Replacement of 5,000 air conditioning units
- Upgrade of 6,000 air conditioning units
- Replacement of nearly 84,000 lamps in the buildings
- Replacement of 1,500 street lights
- Installation of 34,500 water saving devices
- Installation of more than 500 meters to monitor and control the energy consumption
- Operation and Maintenance of all equipment installed for the duration of the contract
- 26.4 GWh electricity saved per year
= equals the annual consumption of 2,400 UAE inhabitants
- Reduction of 18,500 tons of CO2 emissions per year
= equivalent of planting a forest a 1/3 the size of Paris
- 1.2 billion IG water saved over 6 years
= equivalent to a swimming pool the size of a football pitch and the height of Burj Khalifa.
- More than 132 mAED energy savings guaranteed over 6 years
JAFZA does not only benefit from being positioned as a leader in delivering low carbon foot print infrastructures, but can also communicate on financial, environmental and social KPIs placing them in line with the UAE’s Energy Efficiency Strategy.
The project is also an outstanding example demonstrating the high quality operations and maintenance program leading to guaranteed savings creates more value and financial benefits for customers rather than cost cutting on maintenance costs.